Saturday, January 20, 2007

Currently...


In the last couple of days I have started to read "Courageous Leadership" by Bill Hybels, Senior Pastor of Willow Creek Church in Chicago. I know that a lot of people hold a lot of views about the man that would not be favourable. If I am being honest, I too probably would have been skeptical. (And probably based on fear, speculation, and hearsay). Now, I am not saying I am his biggest fan, or that the whole book is amazing (because I haven't finished yet), but what I am saying is that already he has provided a lot of food for thought.
In chapter 1 of the book, he paints an incredible picture of what the church should be and should look like if it was functioning correctly, as church was done in the book of Acts. There is one quote I would like to leave with you, and, for me, if this is all that is in the book it has been more than worth it. Get your minds working on this one...
"People supernaturally gifted to lead must yield themselves fully to God. They must cast powerful, biblical, God-honouring visions. They must build effective, loving, clearly focused teams. They must fire up Christ followers to give their absolute best for God. And they must insist with pit bull determination that the gospel be preached, the lost be found, the believers be equipped, the poor be served, the lonely be enfolded into community, and God gets the credit for all".
Let's think over that one and see how we are measuring up!!

No comments: