Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Much Needed Letter!


I love books! I love to sit down with a good book, a good cup of coffee, and read and be taught. I put quite a high value on a good book, especially when it comes to teaching us things about God and the things of God. We have to be so careful because it is so easy for all of us to get things so so wrong, and if we are thinking wrong then we will be living wrong because of it! Everything we read, just like everything we watch and listen to, impacts us for good or for bad. Now all I'm saying here is that we have to take care in choosing what to read and take care when reading it!

Quite a while back I bought a book called "What Love Is This" by Dave Hunt. The content of the book can easily be summed up by the sub-title, "Calvinism's Misrepresentation of God". Now, my purpose in this post is not to argue for or against "Calvinism", it's about the book. Dave Hunt writes from a staunch Anti-Calvinism position, and he does it incredibly badly! The people for whom he speaks, on behalf of, should cringe at how bad the book is written and how poor a job it does in articulating that particular position. The reason why I am writing this post is because, over recent days, it has come up as a book that has helped to shape people's thinking. Now, what I am not doing here is picking at people, or claiming to be the all-knowing one, I just want to sound an alarm that if you want a book to read on this topic, to help explain the positions, then this is not the one- it will mislead all who read it in their understanding of the subject because the simple facts are wrong!

The letter, that the title of this post mentions, is by a man called James White. James White is a well known apologist, who has responded to Dave Hunt's book by an open letter that he sent to the author. I found the letter only today so my thoughts have not been shaped or formed by this man's letter. I do encourage you all to read it though, if you have read Dave Hunt's book or are just interested.

I would recommend James White and Dave Hunt's book "Debating Calvinism". Ultimately though, if you want something to read on the subject, I say read the Bible- go to Romans or Ephesians to begin! I'm not here to sway your views, just to warn you about the errors in the book and, if you do read it, take care!

The letter is here.

2 comments:

supersimbo said...

mmmm i have often wondered about this book but have never plucked up the energy to lift its heavy spine and pages for a read!! It sells intermittently in ballymena, had a few sales in recent weeks actually.

simont said...

Yeah mate the book seems to have a pretty consistent sales history and readership. As stated in the post, without arguing anything at all on the issue of the book, Hunt just doesn't write well-which is actually the case in some of his other books to. This time though, I think, the topic of the book, combined with previous popularity, and the recommendations for this title (albeit all are end times fanatics and none of real notable theological acceptance or standards), have all seemed to puh it on in demand. Do pick it up and read a bit, just be careful bro!