Friday, February 08, 2008

The Real John Piper



I know what you're thinking... my music taste has changed, I have discovered a deep sense of appreciation and liking of Eminem, and am about to "bust a groove" to the tune "Would the real Slim Shady please stand up", except to the words "would the real John Piper please stand up"? I can happily, and hastily, inform you that I am NOT thinking such thoughts!

So, you might be thinking, what's with the title of the post? Over at the Desiring God blog, Abraham Piper has posted his introduction that he gave to his dad, John Piper, at the very recently concluded Desiring God Pastor's conference. The conference was titled "Pastors as Fathers and Sons", or something close to that anyway. Each year at the conference John Piper gives a biographical message, and this year it was on his father, Bill Piper, who died in March 2007(it was the death of his father that prompted the conference theme). Abraham Piper introduced John Piper before the delivery of that biographical message. You can read Abraham's introduction here.

Why comment on the introduction? Simply this, when I listen to John Piper I tend to be blown away by his love for Jesus, the Bible, people, and, combining those, his passion for people to be living their lives according to the Bible so that Jesus may be glorified in, and through, us and that other people may see, in one of countless ways, that He is glorious, as our joyful obedience points toward His immeasurable worth! Now, let me CLEARLY state, this is not a worship session of John Piper, or an elevation of him to the heights of perfection, not at all! I do remember that Romans 3v23 is in the Bible! However, I have no problem in stating the fact that I have a great respect for the man and have learnt, and continue to learn, much from his teaching and example.

So... the point in the post? The undeniable lesson that it takes much more to define a man than a ministry. Great talent and gifting does not mean great character. Knowing the right things to say does not mean that you strive to be the right person to the right people. It is a confirmation that to learn who I really am, and what I am really like, you do not need to hear me preach, but you do need to talk to Kerry. Now, I hope that I am true and faithful while preaching, or ministering in some way to people, but I can fool people just as well, if not better, than anyone. Now, of course, it is possible to fool Kerry, but much less possible. I like Abraham Piper's introduction because it makes me wonder what Kerry would say about me, or what my kids (if the Lord blesses) will say about me. Will they be able to say that I am there for them, that I love them, that I taught them about grace and justice, that I was faithful to them? Will they be able to say that I made sacrifices for their good and enjoyment? Will they be able to say that I was, and am, concerned for God's glory? Concerned, and interested, in academic development? Will they be able to say, that among many things, "it’s best, for me, at least, that he’s a dad. I admire him." Kerry and I get married this summer and I hope someday she can say those things, apart from being the father to her part obviously. I hope she, and others, can say it, not to make me feel big and proud, but because it means I will have been of benefit to them and that it would be a sign of me striving to be all that I can be as a Christian man, husband and father! O Lord, may it be so!

As a confirmation, the comments on Piper led me to examine and question myself, not compare myself in any way.

No comments: